Separation and stress

Separation is a difficult time and it is normal to feel stressed or upset. Finding ways to manage these feelings is an important part of moving on and feeling better about yourself.

Sometimes it can be difficult to know if what you’re feeling is normal or something that you should get help with.

Are you:

  • Having trouble sleeping?
  • Feeling overwhelmed?
  • Irritable or anxious all the time?
  • Having trouble concentrating?
  • Feeling moody and easily frustrated?

If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms then you might need to get help or make changes to your day-to-day life.

It is important to remember that stress is normal, but if you feel stressed all the time and have been living with these symptoms for a while, it can lead to depression and other mental health issues in the future.

What can you do?

Learn about your stressors and put changes in place to avoid them

Overuse of alcohol or medications usually make the situation worse

Operate in a positive way. Give yourself a pat on the back for doing something well

Keep focussing on the good, even in difficult situations


Accept the things that can’t be changed

Find time to relax

Talk to a friend or family member

Eat healthy meals

Realise that things will eventually get better


You can make a list of everything you enjoy doing

Ordinary is ok. Lower the bar!

Understand your body and recognise when you need extra help

Realise that there are only so many hours in a day

Seek the assistance of a doctor or counsellor

Energise with gentle exercise like a walk or a bike ride

Look for ways alter the situation and adapt to the stressor

Find a way to break your goals into small steps


Remember, you can’t give your best for your kids if you don’t look after yourself too.

Who can help?

If nothing helps, then maybe you need to talk to someone about how you are feeling.

If you’re not comfortable talking to a friend or family member, then making an appointment to see a counsellor or doctor might be a good option.

There are also a number of organisations that offer support and advice.

LIFELINE 13 11 14

Beyondblue 1300 224 636

Mensline Australia 1300 789 978

Department of Veterans Affairs 1800 555 254

Family Relationship Advice Line 1800 050 321

Kids Helpline 1800 551 800


Reach Out 

Other organisations that may provide services in your area include Anglicare, Centacare, Interrelate, Relationships Australia, Unitingcare Australia and Unifam.